Seattle Rainiers


Current Season
Team History
All-Time Leaders    Batting    Pitching
League Championship Titles: None
Manager: Ernie Johnson
Ballpark: Dugdale Park

Dugdale Park   Opened: 1913   Capacity: 15,000
Rainier Avenue and McClellan Street, Seattle, Washington

AVG overall .984
LHB .977, RHB .987
Doubles .938
Triples 1.264
HR overall .746
LHB 1.022, RHB .598

Distances/wall heights
Left Field line 400 ft./9 ft.
Left Field 390 ft./9 ft.
Left-Center Field 395 ft./9 ft.
Center Field 400 ft./9 ft.
Right-Center Field 350 ft./9 ft.
Right Field 330 ft./9 ft.
Right Field line 290 ft./9 ft.

In the Redux

The Rainiers have made just one postseason appearance this decade, losing to Sacramento in 1927. They had three bad years in a row in the early 20’s, followed by three good years in a row, and are hoping last year’s 69-85 is an anomaly rather than a sign of the latest trend.

Real-life history

From 1901 the Pacific Northwest League had a club known as the Seattle Clamdiggers, and when that league merged with the California League to become the Pacific Coast League in 1903, the Clamdiggers became the Siwashes; they were also at times referred to as the Indians. The PCL contracted to four teams after the 1906 season, and the Siwashes/Indians were one of the casualties. They didn’t disband, however; the team competed for the next 11 years in the Class-B Northwest League.

The 1924 champs in the days when sleeves were long, pants were wide, and superstitious seamstresses refused to sew the lettering on perpendicular to the pinstripes.

An expansion team originally called the Seattle Rainiers joined the PCL with Portland in 1919, bringing the number of teams in the league to eight. The Rainiers soon reverted back to their earlier Indians monicker, and won the pennant in 1924 (their first) but returned to the second division the following season and stayed there for more than a decade. Adding insult to injury, their home field, Dugdale Park, was torched by an arsonist in 1932. For the next five and a half years they were forced to play on the hard dirt of Civic Stadium.

After the game, there’s an exhibition of postmodernist works in the concourse.

They were purchased by Emil Sick in 1938. Sick pulled the name Rainiers out of mothballs, and this time it stuck. The name was doubly appropriate, reflecting both the team’s proximity to Washington’s Mt. Rainier and their owner’s other successful enterprise, the Rainier Brewing Company (the beer connection also provided the team its informal nickname, the “Suds”). Also in 1938 Sick built 15,000-seat Sick’s Stadium on the site of their previous home, Dugdale Park. The Rainiers soared to the top of the standings in 1939, their first of three consecutive first-place finishes. They lost the league championship that year, but took the title four years in a row, 1940-1943. They also won pennants in 1951 and 1955.

In 1965 they were purchased by the California Angels and renamed the Seattle Angels. They won one more pennant under that name, in 1966. Their last season was 1968; the franchise was disbanded when Seattle was awarded an American League franchise the following season. That team, the Pilots, lasted only one year in Seattle, but in 1977 the American League was ready to try again, and the Seattle Mariners have represented the city ever since.