Oakland Oaks






Zamloch


Current Season
Team History
All-Time Leaders    Batting    Pitching
League Championship Titles: 1926, 1929
Manager: Carl Zamloch
Ballpark: Oaks Park



Oaks Park   Opened: 1913   Capacity: 11,200
45th Street and San Pablo Avenue, Emeryville, California






Factors
AVG overall .951
LHB .962, RHB .945
Doubles .940
Triples 1.191
HR overall .433
LHB .420, RHB .440

Distances/wall heights
Left Field line 325 ft./21 ft.
Left Field 370 ft./21 ft.
Left-Center Field 392 ft./21 ft.
Center Field 425 ft./21 ft.
Right-Center 400 ft./21 ft.
Right Field 380 ft./21 ft.
Right Field line 340 ft./21 ft.

In the Redux

Last year the Oaks became one of three P.C.L. teams to win multiple championships in the 1920’s with an exciting seven-game triumph over Sacramento. They could be a frustratingly inconsistent team during the decade, tending to follow each winning season with a losing one, but winning titles in both of their championship series appearances more than made up for any previous disappointment.

Real-life history

Professional baseball in Oakland dates back almost as far as professional baseball itself. The city was represented by several teams in several leagues prior to the formation of the PCL. The team that joined the league as a charter member in 1903 had been known as the Oakland Clamdiggers the year before but for the next half-century they would be called the Oaks, or informally, the Acorns.





The 1948 PCL champions, managed by Casey Stengel and nicknamed the “Nine Old Men” by a sportswriter who must have failed arithmetic.

The Oaks’ longtime home, Oaks Park in Emeryville, was built in 1913, a year after the team won its first PCL pennant. Until the 1920’s the Oaks were owned by the same man who owned the San Francisco Seals, J. Cal Ewing. During this time the two clubs freely switched home venues back and forth, so both teams were playing some home games in Oakland, and both teams were playing some home games in San Francisco. After Ewing sold his interest in the team the Oaks made Oaks Park their permanent home.

The Oaks were PCL champions in 1912, 1927, 1948, 1950, and 1954. They usually had no official affiliation with any major league team, but their players and even managers often found their way to the Yankees, and they were officially a Yankees’ farm club from 1935 to 1937.







The Li’l Acorn, Oakland’s irrepressible mascot, resplendent in baseball spikes and no pants.
And for the Oaks’ fan in your life who has almost everything, an Ernie Lombardi ashtray.

When the team’s attendance fell to last in the league in 1955, the ownership opted for a move to Vancouver, where the club became known as the Mounties. The move made the PCL an international league for the first time.

Ultimately the franchise was a casualty of the demise of a league they weren’t even a part of. When the American Association folded after the 1962 season, four of its teams, including the Dallas-Ft. Worth Rangers, joined the PCL. The Vancouver Mounties had been affiliated with the Minnesota Twins but the Twins opted to transfer their affiliation to the Texas club, and the Mounties were disbanded.

Oakland was without a baseball team of its own between 1956 and 1967, but when Charlie Finley was looking to move his club from Kansas City in 1968, Oakland raised its hand to provide the Athletics their new home.